Home > Blog > Licences You May Need for Your Construction Business in South Australia

Do you work as a tradie in the building and construction industry in South Australia. If so, it's important to understand the licensing requirements. In South Australia, the licensing pathways primarily include the Contractor licence and the Supervisor licence. Within these licences, you'll need to select your specific building and construction specialty, each with its own set of requirements and experience levels. This article will provide an overview of the licensing process and the different types of licences required in South Australia.

SA Builders Licence

In South Australia, there are two main types of builder licences: Contractor and Supervisor. These licences are further divided based on the specific building and construction specialty you intend to operate under. To acquire a builder's licence, you must fulfil certain requirements, including:

  • Experience: The number of years of experience required will depend on the licence type you're applying for.
  • National Police Check: You'll need to undergo a National Police Check as part of the licensing process.
  • Financial Resources: You must be able to demonstrate sufficient financial resources, which can range from $10,000 to $100,000 in net assets, depending on the licence type.
  • Good Standing: You must not have been disqualified from practising a trade, occupation, or business in Australia.

For more detailed information about obtaining a South Australian builder's licence, it is recommended to visit the SA Government's website.

Building and Trades Licences in South Australia

In South Australia, building and trades licences are categorised into several areas, including:

  • Asbestos Removal Licence
  • Building Work Contractors Licence
  • Building Work Supervisors Registration
  • Plumbing, Gas Fitting, and Electrical Registration and Contractors' Licences
  • Work Licence Cards and ID
  • Load Shifting Equipment Licence
  • High Risk Work Licence
  • Pest Control Licence

Each category of licence has its own specific requirements and qualifications. It is essential to determine the type of licence you need based on your area of expertise and the nature of your work.

Builder Responsibilities in Victoria

As a building contractor, your role extends beyond personally carrying out the construction work. It may involve tasks such as quoting and submitting tenders, contracting for building work, arranging and managing labour and subcontractors, scheduling work, conducting on-site meetings and inspections, and potentially subcontracting to another builder.

To operate legally, you must hold a building work contractor's licence, which can be limited to specific types of work, such as aluminium window and door installation. Additionally, you must either register as a building work supervisor or hire an approved supervisor.

Obtaining the necessary licences is vital for working legally and ensuring your competence in the building and construction industry in South Australia. It's important to familiarise yourself with the specific requirements and qualifications for each licence type and specialty. For more detailed and up-to-date information on licensing requirements, it is recommended to visit the official website of the South Australian Government or consult with the relevant authorities.


What is the process for obtaining a building licence in South Australia?

Are there different types of builder licences in South Australia?

Do I need a separate licence for each trade I work in?

Can I limit my building licence to specific types of work?

Are there any financial requirements for obtaining a building licence in South Australia?

Can I hire an approved supervisor instead of obtaining a building work supervisor's registration?

Latest Blog

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published