The hospitality industry has well and truly bounced back since being heavily damaged due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This year there are many opportunities for those looking to further their career in hospitality.
Hospitality staff shortages
Australia’s hospitality sector is facing a significant staff shortage. Job search platform Barcats, which links staff with job-seeking venues, said in October 2022 there were about 200,000 vacancies across the country. If you want to further your hospitality career, or take advantage of your hospitality skills to travel for work, check out the most in demand jobs this year.
Top in-demand jobs
Some of the most in demand jobs in the hospitality industry in 2023 include:
Chefs and waiters
Chefs and waiters remain in high demand in the hospitality industry. According to Barcats, wait staff and kitchen staff are amongst the most sought after professions in the hospitality industry, right across Australia. The hospitality sector is also experiencing a shift towards more sustainable and healthier food options, which is creating new opportunities for chefs with specialist skills.
Hotel managers staff
As more people begin to travel again, there is a growing demand for hotel managers and staff. The pandemic has changed the way people travel, with many opting for local staycations or rural getaways. This trend is expected to continue into 2023, creating opportunities for those with experience in the hospitality and tourism industry.
Bartending and sommelier roles are top of the list of in demand jobs in the hospitality industry. With lockdowns in our rear-view mirror, there is an ongoing need for skilled bartenders and sommeliers who can create unique and innovative drinks.
The rise of food delivery services has led to an increase in demand for delivery staff. While this trend really kicked off during the pandemic, it looks like this trend is here to stay, with more people ordering food from home.
The hospitality industry is becoming increasingly digital, with many businesses investing in point-of-sale (POS) systems and other technology. This has created new opportunities for digital specialists who can help businesses to streamline their operations and improve their customer experience.
As the popularity of coffee shops continues to grow, so does the demand for skilled baristas. Right across Australia there are thousands of opportunities for baristas who can create high-quality coffee and work in a fast paced hospitality environment.
A skilled front-of-house manager can make all the difference in ensuring that guests have an enjoyable experience and leave satisfied. This is hugely important in the digital age where many repeat business and positive reviews and make or break a business.
Get qualified for your previous experience with RPL
So, how can you take advantage of the hospitality boom? If you have previous experience working in any of the above hospitality roles, you may be eligible for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). RPL is a process that recognises your existing skills, knowledge, and experience, and converts them into nationally recognised qualifications.
At Skills Certified, we can help you get qualified for your previous experience in the hospitality industry. The RPL process may save you time and effort and can help you to take the next step in your career.
Our easy Skills Certified RPL process
- Free Skills Check: The first step is to take our FREE 60 seconds skills check, so we can determine your skills experience and if you are eligible for RPL.
- Get matched with our partner RTO: Once we determine that you are eligible for RPL, we match you with one of our partner RTOs who will assess your skills and issue the qualification.
- Gathering Evidence: We’ll help you gather evidence of your skills and experience in the relevant industry. This evidence can include work samples, references, and testimonials from colleagues or supervisors.
- Assessment: the RTOs assessor will review the evidence you have provided and determine whether you have the necessary skills and knowledge to meet the requirements of the qualification. This may include a practical assessment or a written test.
- Get your Qualification: Your RTO will issue you with a nationally recognised qualification. This qualification can be used to advance your career and put you ahead of the competition for hospitality’s most in demand jobs.
Don't let a lack of qualifications hold you back from pursuing your career goals in the hospitality industry.
Get in touch with Skills Certified today to find out how we can help you get qualified for your previous experience and take your career to the next level.