NSW Builder’s Licenses
The NSW Department of Fair Trading regulates builder's licences in New South Wales. In order to qualify for a builder's licence in NSW, you must be able to show acquired qualifications and practical experience.
A minimum of 2 years relevant industry experience, obtained within the last 10 years. At least one of the following qualifications -
Certificate IV in Building and Construction (BCG40106 or CPC40108 Building or CPC40110 Building)
- Certificate IV in Building and Construction (BCG40206 or CPC40208 Contract Administration)
- Certificate IV in Building and Construction (BCG40306 or CPC40308 Estimating)
- Certificate IV in Building and Construction (BCG40506 or CPC40508 Site Management).
- A current Carpentry or Bricklaying contractor licence or supervisor certificate
- Diploma of Building and Construction (Building) BCG50206 or CPC50208
- Diploma of Building and Construction (Building) CPC50210
- or a Degree in Building, Construction Management, General Construction, Construction Economics, Quantity Surveying, or Applied Science (Building) from an Australian University (4-year full time degree program) with mandatory work placement.
You may obtain a full list of required units from the NSW Department of Fair Trading.
Obtain the forms, resources and mandatory checklists from the NSW Fair Trading website.
Your application with all the required documentation must be handed in to your nearest Government Access Centre or Service NSW.
You will require the following supporting documents:
- Proof of identity
- Application fee (varies by license type or qualification)
- Relevant qualifications
- A referee statement from a licensed supervisor
For more information for the current licensing requirements in New South Wales, click here.
The right support
Finding out how to get a building license in NSW has never been easier. Let Skills Certified be your guide to the licensing system, helping you get your skills recognised so you can get the qualifications you need to start a rewarding career as a builder. With extensive experience with the recognition of prior learning framework, we’re equipped to help you achieve your education and career goals.
Start a conversation with our team on 13 17 75 or send us an email at [email protected] take the first step on your journey.
Please contact your state’s licensing body for up to date information as requirements do change. Skills Certified Australia is not an RTO or licensing body