In this article, we’ll take you through the Victorian requirements for working as a contractor in the construction industry.

Registering with the VBA is mandatory under the following circumstances:

  • Contract Worth: You must register with the VBA if you handle a contract worth more than $10,000 in value.
  • Specific Work: Regardless of contract value, registration is required if you engage in reblocking, restumping, demolishing, or removing a home.

However, there are certain jobs that do not require VBA registration if they involve only one of the following tasks:

  • Plastering
  • Tiling (wall and floor)
  • Electrical work
  • Glazing
  • Installing floor coverings
  • Insulating
  • Painting
  • Plumbing, gas-fitting, and draining
  • Attaching external fixtures (awnings, security screens, insect screens, and balustrades)
  • Erecting a chain wire fence around a tennis court
  • Erecting a mast, pole, antenna, aerial, or similar structure.

Please note that if you combine multiple skills, such as plastering and painting, to complete a job, VBA registration is required.

To register with the VBA, you must possess the necessary qualifications, knowledge, and expertise in your respective building category. Additionally, you are required to carry domestic building insurance (formerly known as builder’s warranty insurance). It’s important to note that the VBA registers individual builders, rather than businesses or companies.

Note, Skilled Certified is not a licence provider, please contact your local state licensing authorities for up-to-date information on licensing and permit requirements in Victoria.

Builders Licence in Victoria

In Victoria, a builder’s licence is referred to as a builder’s registration. There are several types of builder registrations, each with its own limitations on work sites and projects. The common types of registrations include:

  • Domestic Builder (Limited)
  • Domestic Builder (Unlimited)
  • Domestic Builder (Manager)
  • Commercial Builder (Limited)
  • Commercial Builder (Unlimited)

Requirements for each registration type in Victoria

  • Minimum Experience: You must have a minimum of 3 years of full-time experience in the specific building registration category you are applying for (commercial, domestic, etc.).
  • Application Process: Complete an application form, providing proof of experience and other necessary documentation.
  • Evaluation: Undergo a written test and, in some cases, an interview.
  • Building Codes Knowledge: Possess a thorough understanding of national building codes.

For more detailed information and a comprehensive list of registrations, visit the Victorian Builders Association website.

Complying with the necessary licensing and registration requirements is vital to operate legally and successfully in the construction industry in Victoria. To ensure you have the correct licences and permits for your construction business, it’s recommended to refer to the VBA’s Building registrations section on their website for further guidance.