Any tradesperson wishing to perform any type of commercial, industrial or residential draining, plumbing, or gasfitting work in New South Wales must possess a plumbing license issued by New South Wales Fair Trading.
NSW plumbing licences are limited to water, sanitary and sewerage plumbing only. Roof plumbing is covered by a subclass under residential building work and drainage is covered by a different specialist licence class.
There are two licences in NSW that you can apply for:
The first is a contractor licence. This plumbing licence also meets the requirements for a qualified supervisor, they are also given an endorsed contractor licence. You can perform plumbing, drainage, and gasfitting work with little supervision if you have a tradesperson certificate.
The second kind is a tradesperson certificate. When you hold this licence, you are not permitted to certify work. A person who has a contractor licence or qualified supervisor certificate must supervise and approve all work you conduct.
Within the plumbing licence classes, you may obtain additional classes to add to your plumbing licence, provided you have fulfilled the required academic and experiential requirements. The streams include:
- Water plumbing
- Water plumbing for urban irrigation, fire sprinkler systems and fire protection systems
- Roof Plumbing
- LP Gasfitting (restricted LP gasfitting)
Applicants require any of the following qualifications to obtain a plumbing licence in NSW:
- Certificate III in Plumbing
Certificate III in Plumbing CPC32413/ CPC32412/ CPC32411/ CPC32408/ BCP30103 including completing all modules in the water stream, sanitary stream, drainage stream and gas services stream
- An apprenticeship which includes Certificate III in Plumbing CPC32413/ CPC32412/ CPC32411/ CPC32408/ BCP30103 including completing all modules in the water stream, sanitary stream, drainage stream and gas services stream
In addition to one of the above, you must:
Complete the following units of competency
- Either CPCPWT4011A or B Design and size heated and cold water services and systems or CPCPWT4001A/ BCPWT4001A Plan, size and layout hot and cold water services and systems;
- CPCCBC4012A or B/ BCGBC4012A Read and interpret plans and specifications;
- Either CPCPDR4011A or B Design and size sanitary drainage systems or CPCPDR4001A/ BCPDR4001A Plan, size and layout sanitary drainage systems;
- Either CPCPDR4012A or B Design and size stormwater drainage systems or CPCPDR4002A/ BCPDR4002A Plan, size and layout stormwater drainage systems;
- Either CPCPDR4013A or B Design and size domestic treatment plant disposal systems or CPCPDR4003A/ BCPDR4003A Plan, size and layout domestic treatment plant disposal systems;
- Either CPCPSN4011A or B Design and size sanitary plumbing systems or CPCPSN4001A/ BCPSN4001A Plan, size and layout sanitary pipework and fixtures;
- Either CPCPGS4011A or B or C Design and size consumer gas installations or CPCPGS4001A/ BCPGS4001A Plan, size and layout consumer gas installations
How to Apply
Applying for a plumbing licence, you would typically need to complete the application forms and checklists, and submit the required supporting documents, which can be obtained from the NSW Fair Trading website or your nearest Service NSW or Government Access Centre. The application should be delivered in person to one of the above offices.
Next Steps for your Licence
Welcome to Skills Certified Australia!
The first step to your plumbing licence check in NSW is to start by assessing which of the eligibility criteria you meet or not. Skills Certified Australia works with Registered Training Organizations (RTOs) through Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) to give you the best opportunities to convert your experiences and prior learning into a nationally recognised certificate (RPL).
Your line of work and skill-set are distinctive. Your requirements for upgrading your skills and filling in any knowledge gaps will be unique to you. In order for you to advance in your profession in the best way possible, we at Skills Certified Australia take a dedicated and individualised approach to your case.
You can view all the fields and certifications that our partner RTOs have awarded. To advance your plumbing and building profession, get in touch with our team.