Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC) regulates all matters regarding compliance, disciplinary functions and plumbing licensing in Queensland. Plumbing is categorised into drainage and plumbing. Gas plumbing licensing is handled by the Department of Natural Resources and Mines.
The three plumbing licence classes include:
- Provisional Plumbers Licence - This plumbers licence is available to individuals who have completed a plumbing apprenticeship.
- Occupational / Open Licence - Applicants must have completed a minimum of one year as a provisional licence holder before applying for this plumbers licence.
- Plumbing & Drainage Contractor / Nominee Supervisor - Individuals who have completed the Certificate IV in Plumbing and are able to meet the associated financial requirements, may apply for this licence.
In order to qualify for a Queensland drainage or plumbing licence, you must complete:
- Certificate III in Plumbing (CPC32413) or Certificate III in Plumbing (Mechanical Services) with sanitary stream included
- Certificate III in Plumbing (CPC32513)
Additional requirements may include the Certificate IV in Plumbing and Services (CPC40912), which consists of the following units of competency:
- Carry Out Work-Based Risk Control Processes (CPCPCM4011A)
- Design and Size Sanitary Plumbing Systems (CPCPSN4011B)
- Design and Size Sanitary Drainage Systems (CPCPDR4011B)
- Design and Size Stormwater Drainage Systems (CPCPDR4012B)
- Design and Size Heated And Cold Water Services And Systems (CPCPWT4011B)
- Design and Size Domestic Treatment Plant Disposal Systems (CPCPDR4013B)
- Estimate and Cost Work (CPCPCM4012A)
- Establish Legal and Risk Management Requirements Of Small Business (BSBSMB401)
How to Apply
Follow these three steps to apply for your plumbers licence in Queensland:
- Visit your nearest Queensland Government Access Centre or the QBCC website to obtain the application forms.
- Attach all the supporting documents. If you are a trade contractor, provide ample demonstration that you have completed the Certificate IV in Plumbing and Services.
- Mail or deliver your application in person to the QBCC offices.
Please contact your state’s licensing body for up to date information as requirements do change. Skills Certified Australia is not an RTO or licensing body