A plumbing licence allows you to undertake all types of plumbing work, as well as related building and repair work, without supervision in New South Wales. You can work in commercial and residential plumbing and repair with this licence. The people who employ you can trust you as a trustworthy professional if you are registered.
This licence is aimed to regulate the building and construction industry. Any individual wishing to perform any type of commercial, industrial or residential draining, plumbing, or gasfitting work in New South Wales must possess a plumbing licence issued by New South Wales Fair Trading. NSW plumbing licences are limited to water, sanitary and sewerage plumbing only. Roof plumbing is covered by a subclass under residential building work and drainage is covered by a different specialist licence class.
Within the plumbing licence classes, you may obtain additional classes to add to your plumbing licence, provided you have fulfilled the required academic and experiential requirements. The streams include:
- Water plumbing
- Water plumbing for urban irrigation, fire sprinkler systems and fire protection systems
- Roof Plumbing
- LP Gasfitting (restricted LP gasfitting)
Plumbing licensing requirements vary by state. For NSW, plumbing licences are regulated by the NSW Fair Trading. According to them, applicants require any of the following qualifications to obtain a plumbing licence in NSW:
- Certificate III in Plumbing CPC32413/ CPC32412/ CPC32411/ CPC32408/ BCP30103 including completing all modules in the water stream, sanitary stream, drainage stream and gas services stream; OR
- An apprenticeship which includes Certificate III in Plumbing CPC32413/ CPC32412/ CPC32411/ CPC32408/ BCP30103 including completing all modules in the water stream, sanitary stream, drainage stream and gas services stream
In addition to one of the above, you must:
Complete the following units of competency
- Either CPCPWT4011A or B Design and size heated and cold water services and systems or CPCPWT4001A/ BCPWT4001A Plan, size and layout hot and cold water services and systems; and
- CPCCBC4012A or B/ BCGBC4012A Read and interpret plans and specifications; and
- Either CPCPDR4011A or B Design and size sanitary drainage systems or CPCPDR4001A/ BCPDR4001A Plan, size and layout sanitary drainage systems; and
- Either CPCPDR4012A or B Design and size stormwater drainage systems or CPCPDR4002A/ BCPDR4002A Plan, size and layout stormwater drainage systems; and
- Either CPCPDR4013A or B Design and size domestic treatment plant disposal systems or CPCPDR4003A/ BCPDR4003A Plan, size and layout domestic treatment plant disposal systems; and
- Either CPCPSN4011A or B Design and size sanitary plumbing systems or CPCPSN4001A/ BCPSN4001A Plan, size and layout sanitary pipework and fixtures; and
- Either CPCPGS4011A or B or C Design and size consumer gas installations or CPCPGS4001A/ BCPGS4001A Plan, size and layout consumer gas installations
How to Apply
Applying for a plumbing licence in NSW, you would typically need to complete the application forms and checklists, and submit the required supporting documents, which can be obtained from the NSW Fair Trading website or your nearest Service NSW or Government Access Centre. The application should be delivered in person to one of the above offices. For more information for the current licensing requirements in New South Wales, click here.
Please contact NSW Fair Trading for up to date information as requirements do change. Skills Certified Australia is not an RTO or licensing body. We cannot grant licences, but we can guide you in the process of obtaining one. Our experts can analyse your career, past work experiences.
Next Steps for your Licence
The Skills Certified team can assist you in obtaining an official qualification by taking into account your prior experience and skills. With formal qualifications and state licences, you can advance your career if you want to pursue new career opportunities or re-enter the business.
We make the licensing process easier by connecting you with experts who can provide tailored advice based on your professional background and objectives.
Please contact our team to see how we can assist you. You can reach us by phone at 13 17 75 or email us at [email protected].