The Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC) handles the registration and licensing of building practitioners and similar trades. According to the QBCC, carpentry falls under the trade contractor licence, which allows the carpenter to apply as a trade contractor, nominee supervisor or site supervisor.
A carpentry licence is required by both individuals or companies that engage in building work that exceeds $3,300 (incl. materials and labour), as well as other conditions.
A QBCC carpentry licence is not required if the work is carried out by:
- an employee of a licensee
- a sub-trade contractor for a licenced trade contractor
- an unlicensed person in partnership with a licensee
- an owner working on his or her property under a permit or at a value below $11,000.
- an employee who checks or oversees the standards of the building work according to the plans and specifications.
How to Apply
In order to apply for a trade contractor licence, you need to complete the Trade Contractor's Licence Application Form and furnish the following:
- Technical qualifications applicable to the relevant licence class
- Proof of identity
- Financial information proving compliance with the QBCC's minimum requirements
- Certificate of completion of the relevant managerial course
- Current copy of Record of Registration from Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC) if you are entering into an agreement as a contractor under a trading name
- Proof of the business partnership or an original or certified copy of QBCC’s Statutory Declaration for Partnership Agreement, if entering into a deal as a contractor under a partnership
Nominee Supervisor applicants must complete the Nominee Supervisor Licence Application Form (no experience) and submit the following supporting documents:
- Proof of identity
- Technical qualifications
- Evidence of 2-4 years worth of experience
- Certificate of completion of a relevant managerial course
- 3 written references or referees
Supervisor licence applicants must provide:
- Completed Site Supervisor Licence Application Form
- Documents proving technical qualifications
Difference licence fees will apply to the difference grades or licence classes.
Lodge your application in person at the nearest QBCC office, or by mail.