Builders Licences Victoria
The Victorian Building Authority (VBA) regulates builder's licences in Victoria. In order to qualify for a builder's licence in VIC, you must be able to show acquired qualifications and practical experience. Registered building practitioners must be licensed by the VBA to perform the following types of work:
- domestic building work totalling more than $5,000
- building work requiring a permit, including re-stumping, re-blocking, removing or demolishing, regardless of cost
- building-related work such as plastering or painting exceeding $5,000
The Victorian Building Authority (VBA) offers an option for building practitioners to register under a specific licence class:
Domestic Builder – Unlimited (DB-U) - The registered builder may carry out the domestic work in their own capacity, or hire subcontractors to perform the work. Domestic Builder – Manager (DB-M) - The licence holder may not perform any unsupervised building work, but may work under the supervision of a registered practitioner, or may hire registered practitioners to do the work. Domestic Builder – Limited (DB-L) - The licenced building practitioner may arrange, manage or perform building work as authorised by the Victorian Building Practitioners Board.
Requirements of a Victorian builders licence
In order to become a Victoria-based registered building practitioner, you must first obtain one of the following:
- CPC40110 diploma
- Associated diploma
- Degree in Building & Construction (Building)
- Prescribed and accredited under the 2006 Education & Training Reform Act.
The VBA may consider other qualifications as equivalent to the above, or consider it a part of a full assessment of your skills and experience. Consult Building Regulations 2--6 (Schedule 7) for more information and to see whether your qualification will suffice.
How to apply for a Victorian builders licence
Follow these three simple steps to apply for a builders license in Victoria.
- Complete and submit the application form (available on the VBA website).
- Select the appropriate registration code and class and attach the appropriate supporting documents, including proof of insurance cover.
- Pay the appropriate application fee.
If you are interested and would like more information, or need to make an enquiry regarding other services, such as trades licensing, please contact a member of our helpful staff today.