Getting a licence means that you are a trustworthy industry professional. It will certify that you have the practical skills, industry knowledge, and formal qualifications required to manage a building project and a construction site. With this licence, you can establish yourself as a professional in the workforce as a trustworthy and well-rounded individual.
The Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC) regulates building licences for the state. You can apply for different licence subclasses according to different types of building work. If you undertake any of the following construction work, you are required to maintain a builder’s licence:
- any building work totalling more than $3,300.
- any building work that involves hydraulic services design and total more than $1,100.
- any building work that involves site classification, building design (low rise, open or medium rise), residential building inspection, fire protection, termite management, gas fitting, plumbing, and drainage.
Individuals who work the following jobs do not require a QBCC licence:
- licensee / sub-trade contractor of a licenced contractor
- partner to a licensee
- property owner performing work on his / her own property
The builder’s licences in Queensland are managed and regulated by the Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC). You can apply for a QLD builders licence with them if you meet their requirements.
The requirements for a QLD builders licence depends on the specific class of licence you’re applying for. These requirements prove that you already have the relevant qualifications and technical skills, and know of the best practices in construction, building, contract administration and more. These requirements include any of the following:
- Statement of accomplishments of the required units applicable to the licence class.
- Certificate of recognition which qualifies the individual to carry out the type and scope of work required by the licence class.
- Certificate IV in Building and Construction CPC40120 or successful completion of an equivalent course.
- Diploma of Building and Construction (Building) CPC50220
- Advanced Diploma of Building and Construction (Management) CPC60220
How to Apply
Each QLD builders licence has its individual requirement. The application process will depend on the specific licence you have chosen. Once you have selected the appropriate licence type, you can start the application.
- Complete the Builder and Designer Experience Form and the Builders Licence Application Form and attach details pertaining to at least 2-4 years of relevant building experience, including:
- proof of identity
- technical qualifications
- 3 written references
- financial information
- Lodge your application in person or per post to your nearest QBCC office. Applications are typically processed in 6-8 weeks.
- Successful applicants are notified by mail, which will include the allowed scope of work for the appropriate licence class, as well as their licence number.
For more information for the current licensing requirements in Queensland, click here.
Next Steps for your QLD Builders Licence
Make the right choice for your career and work with the team at Skills Certified. We understand that the process of getting a building licence can be challenging. With the requirements and paperwork, successfully navigating the licensing system can be a challenge. So, we are here to make it easy. We connect you with experienced professionals who can offer quality advice, tailored to your unique circumstances.
Get in touch with our teams to discuss your requirements. Find out how we can support you today. Call us on 13 17 75 or send us an email at [email protected] and one of our staff will be in touch.
Please contact your state’s licensing body for up to date information as requirements tend to change from time to time. Skills Certified Australia is not an RTO or licensing body.