While Tasmania has no specific bricklaying licensing requirements, a building permit, owner-builder registration or builder accreditation is required for building work valued over $5,000 in materials and labour.
You still need a building permit for building work that costs less than $5,000, however unacredited tradespeople such as building practitioners may still provide such services.
Tasmania (TAS) offers the following builder classes:
- Builder (low rise, medium rise or open)
- Builder (construction manager)
- Builder (fire protection services)
You need to meet the following requirements if you want to become an accredited building practitioner or builder:
- Relevant experience
- Annual training (professional development)
- Compliance with specific qualifications based on the builder class or category
- Proper insurance
How to Apply
Lodge your application form together with supporting documents at your nearest Service Tasmania shop. Here's what you will need:
- Completed Building Practitioner Application Form for the relevant builder class along with -
- relevant qualifications and experience
- curriculum vitae
- 2 detailed references
- Net Tangible Asset Statement (applicable to the builder class)
- Pay your application fee
- Attend an interview
For more information for the current licensing requirements in Tasmania, click here.