Home > Blog > How To Obtain A Painter’s Licence In NSW

New South Wales offers exceptional opportunities for anyone involved in the construction industry – a rapidly expanding population and a booming real estate market mean that there are always people looking to freshen up their properties. If you’re looking to make a smart financial move, it’s an industry that it can be worth putting in the effort to transfer to.

One of the most lucrative sections of the NSW construction industry has to be property painting. An evergreen industry, painting is a business that never runs out of clients as everyone’s home or place of work regularly needs a fresh coat. But how to get started? Whether you’re moving from interstate or are starting out fresh in this career, it’s crucial to understand what documentation you need to carry to operate responsibly and legally. Read on to find out more.

Ensuring you get the right licence

All construction work in the state is licensed by NSW Fair Trading. With very few exceptions, all tradespeople must carry a valid licence from NSW Fair Trading to carry out any construction work of any description. A painter’s licence is a class of contractor licence under the home building licensing scheme, and is awarded to individuals who hold sufficient qualifications or experience that prove they can operate safely. A contractor licence allows the holder to carry out and sign off on work without supervision, allowing them to function – potentially – as a sole trader. 

Getting the right qualifications

The qualifications required for a painter’s licence are clear-cut compared to those for other disciplines. To qualify, an individual must complete:

  1. CPC30611 Certificate III in Painting and Decorating; or
  2. BCG30498 Certificate Ill in General Construction (Painting & Decorating) TAFE course #8063; or
  3. Qualification 11766 Certificate III in Painting and Decorating TAFE course #2155; or
  4. Certificate III in Painting and Decorating, Trade TAFE course #5129.

Qualifications can be gained either through study and completion of the relevant course or through a recognition of prior learning scheme that awards qualifications to individuals who have proven practical experience in the field.

One key exception to the above blanket rule that all construction work must be carried out by licensed tradespeople is in the case of stand-alone contracts for internal paintwork. Where an individual is only performing internal paintwork without any other home building work, they do not need a licence to operate.

For more information on securing a painter’s licence, please speak to a Skills Certified consultant today. 

Latest Blog

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published