What license do I need to work as an Airconditioning and Refrigeration Mechanic in Victoria?
To work as an Airconditioning and Refrigeration Mechanic, you will need:
- Refrigerant Handling Licence from Australian
- Refrigeration Council (ARC) Restricted Electrical Worker’s Licence from Energy Safe Victoria
How do I become an Airconditioning and Refrigeration Mechanic in Victoria?
To work as an Airconditioning and Refrigeration Mechanic in Victoria, you'll need:
- A Certificate III in Air-conditioning and Refrigeration
- Completed apprenticeship
Completion of Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) or equivalent
Strong understanding of Mathematics, English and Chemistry
Certificate II in Electrotechnology studies (Pre-vocational or Careerstart)
Certificate IV in Refrigeration and Air-conditioning Systems
What does an Airconditioning and Refrigeration Mechanic do?
- Establishing job requirements from drawings and specifications
- Laying out installation reference points
- Drilling holes, installing mounting brackets and cutting, bending and threading piping
- Installing and repairing components such as compressors, motors, condensers, evaporators, switches and gauges, and copper lines for steam, gas, refrigerant, compressed air, oil and chilled water
- Bolting, soldering, riveting, welding and brazing pipes to connect equipment, and checking alignment and accuracy of fit
- Filling systems with gas or fluid to check for leaks
- Testing refrigeration systems, checking mechanisms and making adjustments
- Removing test gas and fluid using vacuum pumps, and filling with refrigerant
- Checking and overhauling refrigeration systems, diagnosing faults and repairing and replacing defective components
- Adjusting system controls and mechanisms and reassembling systems
For more information for the current licensing requirements in Victoria, click here.