Home > Blog > How to Get Your Building Licence with RPL

It is the dream of many to be out in the world, building something with their hands so one day they can look back and see the tangible results of their hard work. This is frequently rewarded in the building and construction, and with further qualifications and licensing, the potential really has no limit. The only issue is, obtaining licensing comes with a great deal of prior training through costly and time consuming avenues, and varies within every state of Australia. To help, organisations like Skills Certified can assist you to utilise your experience and knowledge through collaborating with Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) and Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL).

What is RPL?

As the name suggests, RPL allows an RTO to recognise a candidate’s prior experience and understanding in a given field, against a nationally recognised qualification. The candidate will present a portfolio of evidence, filled with work samples, qualifications achieved overseas or outside formal education avenues, referrals and other supporting documents, in order to prove their competency in accordance with Australian standards.

For the building and construction industry – and especially in regards to licensing – it is essential that you have the proper qualifications: Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Building) – CPC40110* and/or a Diploma of Building and Construction (Building) – CPC50210*.  RPL can help you obtains these faster utilising your previous experience and knowledge, saving you time and money.

Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Building) CPC40110 & Diploma of Building and Construction (Building) – CPC50210

The Certificate IV in Building and Construction – CPC40110 equips students with the capabilities to manage on a variety of worksites. These include applying building codes and standards to construction projects, reading and interpreting plans and specifications, and producing labour and material schedules.

A Diploma of Building and Construction (Building) – CPC50210 demonstrates how to plan, manage and supervise the construction of medium rise buildings, specifically in regards to producing cost estimates, managing subcontractors, preparing contracts, evaluating tenders, and much more.

Obtaining Your Business Licence

These qualifications are necessary in most states to obtain your licence. Further stipulations exist, however, such as in order to obtain a builders licence in NSW, you will need two years relevant experience working as either an employee or a sub-contractor under a supervising, licensed builder. For a builders licence in VIC, you may need a total of 3 years’ experience working under a license builder, to qualify for one in a variety of possible categories.

For more information, contact the friendly team at Skills Certified today by calling 13 17 75, emailing us at [email protected], or leave your details on our easy to complete enquiry form, and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

*Requirements vary per state. We recommend that you consult the licensing body in your state to understand the exact requirements.

Latest Blog

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published