In order to perform any plumbing-related work in Victoria, you have to follow the strict rules of the Victorian Building Authority (VBA), including obtaining registration and plumbing licence and sufficient insurance to protect your customers and yourself.
Performing any plumbing work without a plumbing licence will result in serious penalties. Licensing is categorised by class, and you have to be registered for every class in which you intend to perform plumbing work, including water supply, gasfitting, drainage, irrigation (non-agricultural), sanitary, and roofing. The classes include:
- Type A Appliance Servicing
- Type A Appliance Conversion
- Type B Gasfitting
- Type B Gasfitting Advanced
- Refrigerated Air Conditioning
- Backflow Prevention
All the following are required if you want to be eligible for a plumbing licence in Victoria:
- Application process
- Existing registration for specialised plumbing work
- Successful completion of VBA licence examination
- Sufficient insurance
How to Apply
Simply follow the steps below to apply for your plumbing licence in Victoria, or for a specialised class of plumbing work:
- Download, print and complete the Plumbing Licence Application form.
- Recognition of interstate, New Zealand or overseas qualifications.
- Include your supporting documents, including the National Police Checking Service Informed Consent Form
- Any relevant documentation, on request
- Relevant documentation, if requested.
- Required fees.
- Submit your application in person or by mail.
Please contact your state’s licensing body for up to date information as requirements do change. Skills Certified Australia is not an RTO or licensing body